Sunday, May 31, 2015

Amazing Memorial Day Weekend for Vacation Yards Sales

What a Fantastic Memorial Day Weekend.  My Partner Cindy and I were going to Butte, Montana for Vacation. My Grandma and Grandpa Frazier, Dad and other family live there. I was born there, but grew up in Billings, Montana.  We had planned on doing a little thrift shopping, on Saturday. We did not have much money, but Butte is full of incredible Antiques and Vintage Quirky Kaboodles.
Saturday we got up kinda late. The drive had been very long 13 Hours; also the altitude was kicking our Ass. We live at Sea Level in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. We were going to the Original Mile High City of Butte, Montana. Altitude sickness is almost a guarantee.  After Grandma had fixed us breakfast, and we ate we scanned the paper for a few yard sales. Sadly we missed out on a Estate Mansion Sale of a collection of 50 years of goods. That is probably a good thing, because we did not have a lot of money, to blow on things.

We found a few in the newspaper to look at. We got in the truck, and set the Navigator.  The first one we stopped at, had a few things we bought. The first is a WWII Canvas Cot. I have a lot of memories tied to a cot like this, from spending time at my grandparents as a kid. My cousin Chip and I, use to build forts out of my Grandpa's and sleep on them at night; our grandma would pretend, she was a bear and scare us. Such a great memory I have of time with them. 41 years later, and I am still coming back to see them at least every 2 years. The second thing we bought was a 1980 Eagles Live Vinyl LP with concert poster still in it. It is going to be a great addition to my collection my dad passed on to me. We also found a few odds and ends trinkets.  We checked out and headed to our next one.

We ended up driving past 2, all they had were clothes out. The third we showed up to was a little strange. There was a sign out for a garage sale, but no one was around, except a kid pulling her brother in a wagon.  I walked up to the gate of the place, and the girl came running over. I asked her if the yard sale was still going on. She was like, "Yea, follow me."  She took me through the gate, and around the side of the trailer. There were boxes and boxes full of stuff. She said it was all for sale.  It did not feel right. I asked her where her mom was. "I don't live here. I am just watching it. They said they would be back in 10 minutes, but that was an hour ago."  I politely thanked her, and got out of there. What a nutty little kid. I feel I am lucky someone did not shot me.

On to the next one we went.  This was more of the same. Park and seek the sale out. At least there were people at this one, when we came around the side of the house, through the backyard gate. Now this was are kind of sale. All vintage and antique Items. They were also priced as antiques. The First thing I spotted when I came in the back yard, was a Vintage Metal Outers Tackle Box. I looked it over; there were no dents, and there was some very old hooks inside. They were separated by four compartments. There was not very much wear on it at all. All in all I would say Excellent condition. I looked at the price; no way would I pay $14 Dollars for it. It was well worth it, but I thought I could spend my money on something better.  Looking around at more stuff, I realized there was not much I Cindy and I could afford, or justify spending a large amount of money on. There were Guns, Gun Cases, Cowboy Hats, Antique Wood Fishing Poles, knives, odds and ends of different things; then there was a case, with special things in it. He saw my eyes light up at something I spotted under the glass.

There was what seemed to be a Bullet Like object that stood I would say 6 to 7 inches tall. It was a leather cylinder with a metal bullet tip. It had a tag; all I could see was 19th century on it.  I asked him what it was exactly. He opened the case and showed it to me more closely. He informed me it was a 19th Century 4th of July Toy. He slowly removed the Tip from the cylinder, and displayed a tied up Red, White and Blue Flag. I could not see what it looks like, because it is closed, and most likely should never be opened. I just took his word for it.  I looked at the price, and sadly cried inside. No way was I spending $45 on one object. I thanked him and frowned.

He smiled and said told us everything half off. I asked him if he would take $20 for the Toy. He said $25. I explained, if he gave it to me for $20, I would have more money to buy something else I really wanted. I knew just what that something was. I had seen that Tackle Box Earlier I wanted. I asked Cindy if she saw anything she wanted. The only thing she wanted to know about, was a round bronze ball. I walked over to pick it up, and couldn't believe how heavy it was. I asked him what it was. He showed me the Makers Mark that says Gill and the 12 pound mark on it. He thought it was a antique shot-put, but could also have been a CannonBall. I asked him how much for that and the tackle box. He asked for $15; I told him all I had was $30 for all three items. He said since it was close to being done for the day, he would make that deal with me. SCORE!!!!!


I say I made a real real great deal at his sale.  I found the Tackle Box on eBay, in really bad condition, Dented and no dividers inside. The auctioneer was asking $30 for it. I did not find a Bronze Gill Shot-Put, but a regular vintage Gill Shot-Put for $105.  We will resell the tackle box right away I think. I have really grown an attachment to the cannonball/ shot-put. I think it is a Cannonball, because all of the dents in it; I mean they would seriously have to be shot-putting asphalt, or it was made without a completely round mold. Now the 19th Century 4th of July Toy is my Investment. I can find No Information on this object at all. I am going to have to go spend a day at the Book Bin, scouring books of 19th Century Antiques. If anyone reading this has a clue about what I have, please leave a comment.

In My next entery, I will let you know what Quirky Kaboodles at the Flea Market on I-90 we found,
on our way back to Oregon. Stay Tuned for my next Update.


#MemorialDay #Weekend #auctions #yardsales #garagesales #estatesales #fishingbox #fishing #fishingpole #shotput #cannon #cannonball #antiques #antiqueroadshow #vintage #toy #forthofjuly #kaboodles



No comments:

Post a Comment