Thursday, May 21, 2015

Don't Be Foolish And Walk Away From That Deal

One of the funniest things I saw at the "World's Largest Garage Sale" was Someone Walking Away From A Deal, on a vintage 1970's Boy Scout Hat. 

I aquired a 1970's Boy Scout Hat, in some free stuff, on the curb after someone's yard sale. When I found it, little money signs went off in my mind. I could eBay or Craigslist it. If I craigslist it, I might trade for some WWII merchandise. 

Why did this not sell? All I could figure, is they had to much on it at the sale. Then why would they put it out for? I mean really, who would throw a Vintage Boy Scout Hat out for FREE? All I knew was, I scored a Treasure.

Finally after 2 years of holding on to it, the day came I could sell it. The reason I had it so long, it was lost in the many many Kaboodles I have.  At the sale, i put it up eye level, so it would be noticed right away or a hourish. Well my plan worked; with in 2 hours, I had a older gentleman, on my hook.  He picked it up; he looked it over; then he tried it on. It seems the price fell off it, so he asked how much. I just wanted a sale, I told him $3, when I think there was $7 on it. He looked at it a few more times, then put it back. He told me he might be back later for it. A foolish mistake in the end. 

I would say maybe an hour after he left, another man in his 50's came along. He did the same as the man had before. He told me he had one like it in the scouts, and it brought great memories back. He pulled out his wallet and asked how much. Well as I have learned, do not act excited over things. Most the time the price is jacked up, or you can't barter them. Instead of charging him a dollar or so more, I just left the price at $3. He had a big smile and thanked me. As he turned to leave with his prize in hand, the first guy that had been eyeing it walked up. He saw the guy with it and frowned in disbelief. 

He looked at the guy as he walked away; then he looked at me with a slight grin. His words were that of a man, who had lost out on a deal. He said, "I am the Foolish one for walking away. This has happened to me in the past, and it seems I did not learn my lesson then. This loss taught me a valuable lesson today; Never Walk Away".  I also learned from him, to also never walk away, and thin what you want, will be there in the End.

No comments:

Post a Comment